STATE OF CALIFORNIA
FPLG COVID-19 RESPONSE
STATE OF CALIFORNIA
[UPDATE: May 25, 2020]
On May 18, 2020, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced important modifications to the Phase 2 Plan for gradually reopening California that he had announced on May 8, 2020. (The State of California has been under lock-down since mid-March with encouraging results that haven’t mimicked the overwhelming of health care facilities occurring in other locations.)
On May 25, 2020, the Governor’s Office approved the limited resumption of religious services statewide, subject to health and safety restrictions.
The new rules vary to a large extent county-by-county, with the most (current) easing occurring in the smaller, rural locales. They also vary industry by industry; some segments of the nonprofit sector are treated differently than others. These complex rules are developing, and we’ll monitor and update this page regularly as new information emerges over the next few days.
[April 1, 2020]
The current response to COVID-19 on the state levels involves: the Governor’s office, state departments and agencies, and the California Legislature.+
It includes all of the official actions and declarations by Governor Gavin Newsom, as well as action and information from the state’s executive branch. As with the federal level, many California agencies are involved in this response, enforcing existing laws, regulations, and rules, and updating guidance for the current circumstances. The references listed here are just a few of the many in effect.
In mid-March, the California legislature unanimously enacted S.B. 89 which amends the budget to make a massive appropriation on account of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Legislature is in recess until about mid-April, but that date could be changed.
REFERENCES & RESOURCES
California limits church capacity to 25% for reopening, adds other restrictions (May 25, 2020) Monte Morin, The Los Angeles Times
Counties Statewide Can Reopen Places of Worship for Religious Services and Retail Stores (May 25, 2020), California Department of Public Health
COVID-19 INDUSTRY GUIDANCE: Places of Worship and Providers of Religious Services and Cultural Ceremonies (May 25, 2020) covid19.ca.gov
When Is California Reopening? (May 21, 2020) Sona Patel, The New York Times
Coronavirus: Tracking California’s progress toward reopening (May 19, 2020) The Los Angeles Times
Newsom eases California reopening rules, allowing more counties to restart their economies (May 18, 2020) John Myers, Taryn Luna & Phil Willon, The Los Angeles Times
Coronavirus forces sharp cuts to schools, healthcare in California, Newsom says (May 14, 2020) John Myers, The Los Angeles Times
Gov. Newsom Announces California Will Begin Easing Coronavirus Closures This Week (May 4, 2020) Hannah Hagemann, NPR
Leader Atkins Provides Senate Schedule Update (April 28, 2020) California Senate President pro Tempore Toni G. Atkins (D-San Diego)
Colorado and Nevada join Western States Pact as states work on unified coronavirus strategy (April 27, 2020) Artemis Moshtaghian & Paul LeBlanc, CNN
Governor Newsom Announces New Initiatives to Support California Workers Impacted by COVID-19 (April 15, 2020), State of California, Office of the Governor
Governor Newsom Outlines Six Critical Indicators the State will Consider Before Modifying the Stay-at-Home Order and Other COVID-19 Interventions (April 14, 2020) State of California, Office of the Governor
- Sacramento Report: How San Diego Legislators Are Mobilizing Against the Coronavirus (March 20, 2020) Sara Libby et al, Voice of San Diego
- Bipartisan set of 28 California Assembly members urges Governor to act on nonprofit concerns (March 27, 2020), California Association of Nonprofits
- California Legislature suspends session in response to coronavirus outbreak (March 17, 2020) Hannah Wiley, The Sacramento Bee
- Governor Gavin Newsom Issues Stay at Home Order at gov.ca.gov (March 19, 2020)
- Governor Newsom Takes Executive Action to Establish a Statewide Moratorium on Evictions at gov.ca.gov. (March 27, 2020)
- California Secures Presidential Major Disaster Declaration to Support State’s COVID-19 Emergency Response at gov.ca.gov (March 22, 2020)
- California Labor and Workforce Development Agency, Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) Resources for Employers and Workers [collected links and resources] (March 2020)
- California Department of Industrial Relations, Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) – FAQs on laws enforced by the California Labor Commissioner’s Office [wage and hour issues; labor laws]